Town of Bucksport Resolve # 2018-39
In Town Council January 25, 2018
Resolution of the Town Council Adopting the Bucksport Heart & Soul Community Statements
Whereas, Bucksport has been engaged in a two-year innovative community effort to find out what matters to its citizens and has developed Community Statements for the Town; and
Whereas, extensive public input informed the statements in the course of community block parties, public events, activities, workshops, and personal interviews in 2016 and 2017; and
Whereas, the members of the Bucksport Heart & Soul team voted unanimously on January 8, 2018 to recommend forwarding these proposed Community Heart & Soul Statements to the Town Council for formal adoption; and
Whereas, the Town Council finds that adoption of the Community Heart & Soul Statements will provide guidance in the preparation of future policy and strategic plans of the Town, as well as operational and investment decisions.
Now, Therefore be it resolved, by the Town Council of the Town of Bucksport,
Section 1. Approve and adopt the Community Heart & Soul Statements, listed herein, and commit to using them to evaluate decisions in preparation of future policy, strategic plans, and operational and investment decisions.
Bucksport Heart & Soul Statements
In the Town of Bucksport, what matters to the citizens:
Community Spirit: We cherish our community that comes together through neighbors helping neighbors, volunteering, and supporting local organizations and events; creating a sense of belonging which gives each of us an opportunity to make a difference.
Town Government: We value a forward-thinking and transparent town government that responds to the needs of residents and local businesses and maintains and supports community services and infrastructure; ensuring an accessible, safe, and secure environment.
Small Town Feel: We treasure our friendly community with its safe, close-knit family feel and the generational continuity which keeps our proud history alive; creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for residents and visitors alike.
Vibrant Downtown: We treasure a vibrant downtown with small businesses, festivals, parades, waterfront, and art-related opportunities which provide economic development and places for people to gather; promoting a rich, welcoming sense of community.
Recreation: We take pride in and value each of these things which enhance our health and well-being:
the abundance of recreational opportunities for all ages which encourage exercise, deep conversations, and social interactions between friends, parents, children, and dog owners
- access to the magnificent waterfront walkway, the well-maintained trails, and the ponds, lakes, and woods
Environment: We cherish the beauty of our rural environment which provides us access and a connection to our natural world.
- the Penobscot River, the jewel of our waterfront and our maritime connection
- our ponds, lakes, woods, mountains, and farmlands, the privilege of our seasons, fresh air, and the stars at night
- our opportunities for civic and social organizations that encourage the traditions of boating, hunting, fishing, farming, and gardening
Education: We value each of these things that contribute to a healthy, happy, and educated populace:
- an innovative school system which emphasizes varied educational and extracurricular opportunities for all learners.
- a class size conducive to knowing, caring about and helping each other.
- a high graduation rate with graduates prepared to contribute to the community at large.
- collaboration between school and community
Healthy Community: We appreciate and value each of these things which promote an inclusive, vibrant community:
- access to local choices for recreational, cultural and social activities, and health and other services
- access to housing that meets the needs of all ages and income levels
- addressing current social, emotional, mental and physical health challenges
Local Economy: We value each of these things that contribute to a prosperous, community by bringing people together and creating an inviting destination for our visitors:
- a strong local economy, enhanced by our central location, affordable housing, diverse and creative businesses, available financing, and employment opportunities
- the local eateries, movie theater and cultural events
Section 2. Town Council directs the Town Departments to use the statements in evaluating and recommending policy decisions or operational improvements in the Town.