Town Council Report December 12, 2017
Bucksport Heart & Soul
Here’s one of our Community Statements that received a unanimous Yes, Right on!
Small Town Feel: We treasure our friendly community with its safe, close-knit family feel and the generational continuity which keeps our proud history alive; creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for residents and visitors alike.
Here’s a few ideas from residents to promote our Small Town Feel:
. . . community center where people can go to be active ot to get involved
- We used to have something like a welcome wagon that would meet new people and help make them feel comfortable. It would be nice to get back to something on that idea. . .
- Have frequent community activities that will build community relationships
- Drafting our Summary Statements Events:
November 2 - Recreation, Natural Environment - 20 attendees
November 5 - Local Economy, Small Town Feel - 25 attendees
November 16. . .Education, Infrastructure, Vibrant Downtown- 22 attendees
- Refining our Draft Statements - Attendees returned to H&S, along with volunteers, to complete the work begun at the four community Summary Statement events: Drafts are complete!
- Separate meetings with Bucksport’s new Middle School Principal, Todd West,, the new Youth Director for Healthy Acadia, Gabriel O’Brien, and the Wednesday on Main coordinator, Paula Kee, to share H&S work progress and discuss ways for Youth to be involved.
- Jim Baumer, free lance writer, returned to Bucksport for further research for his upcoming article in the Island Journal, the Island Institute’s annual publication.
- November 9 - Presentation to Bucksport Town Council: Request for $8,000.00 granted to cover costs of H&S work through March 2018
- November 14 - Conference call with Maine’s Civil Discourse coordinator which included Town Manager, H&S volunteers, and another Bucksport group representative. . . How might we bring Civil Discourse discussion to Bucksport?
- Media - Ellsworth American article, November 22, 2017 https://www.ellsworthamerican.com/maine-news/bucksport-heart-soul-project-enters-final-stages/
- Interview with WABI/5 News - November 29, 2017 http://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Bucksport-Heart-and-Soul--460867933.html
- November 21 - Heart & Soul Headquarters’ windows were decorated for the season
- November 25 - Following the Bucksport Tree Lighting, Bucksport Heart & Soul and BACAS hosted a community social gathering which included hot chocolate, popcorn, and a holiday sing-along.
- November 27 - H&S volunteers were present at the Town Groups/Organizations meeting at H&S headquarters - facilitated by Rob Carmichael
- December 3 - Training for Phase 3 with Jane Lafleur - 1:00pm-4:00pm
- Phase 3 of the Heart & Soul work: See the schedule of public events below.
- Community verifies the Community Summary Statements they created
- Community discusses the ways that each of our Community Statements has been strengthened or eroded over time. Where are we now? Where do we want to be? What are our goals to strengthen what matters most in our community?
- Generate ideas for each Community Statement to create a Community Heart & Soul Action Plan
- December 3 - H&S Core group meeting - 4:00-6:30pm
- December 9 - Heart & Soul Open House prior to, and following the Parade the Lights. Our Community Summary Statements were read by 35 residents who indicated whether they reflect what matters to them and offered ideas for action for each theme. Cake, beverages, and lively conversation were shared by the community on this snowy night in Bucksport!
- December 14 - Heart & Soul joins Bucksport Main Street at the Headquarters for Main Street’s Holiday Photo Booth Event, and H & S Open House, for verifying the Community Summary Statements.
- December 31 - New Year’s Eve Community Gathering - Bucksport Heart & Soul and the Bucksport Bay Area Chamber of Commerce will co-host a New Year’s Eve Community Gathering at the H&S Headquarters from 8:00pm-12:00pm. Table games, crafts, music by the Flannel Doughboys, potluck snacks, and then the Ball Drop!
- H&S headquarters continues to be used for community meetings
For more information about Bucksport H&S, please refer to our website and facebook page.
Thanks, Nancy MInott, H&S Coordinator